Tuesday, August 20, 2013

My new favorite commie-era mural

I can't believe I've been living here for nearly two years and I only just found out about this:



This is my new favorite commie mural in Bratislava, and it's located in a courtyard of the otherwise fairly drab technical university, right by the corner of Radlinsk√©ho ulica and J√°nska. I've walked by here numerous times, but never bothered (or had any reason) to venture into the university. I'm not sure if I can really decipher it, but I love how it's kind of a crazy amalgam of styles: like a weird fusion of Kandinsky, constructivism (esp. Moholy-Nagy), a touch of Charley Harper, maybe a smidgen of Klimt, a wee bit of art deco, and a dab of 60s Yellow Submarine psychedelic pop art. I love it.

Click on the photos to enlarge them and see more detail.




I discovered it courtesy of a photographer who passed through Bratislava this summer and posted photos of it on Flickr. As soon as I saw the photos, I had to head over there to see it in person.

I've already worked it into my self-guided walking tour of communist-era Bratislava.

Of course, this makes me wonder how many other murals like this are out there that I haven't stumbled into yet. If anyone reading this knows about any other similarly cool commie-era murals that are tucked away around the city, please let me know so I can check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment